Fellow role-players, here is my update for Session 5c.38 of the “Vortex” telecom space opera campaign, which met via Skype on Sunday, 30 June 2013. We’ve been using FATE 3e Starblazer Adventures / Mindjammer, Bulldogs, and an online dice roller.
In one future, humanity has begun to colonize the Sol system, but environmental degradation, population pressures, and internecine conflict persist. The rediscovery of mystical abilities and open and official First Contact with galactic societies, themselves at war, threaten Terra’s very survival. Can heroes rise to the challenges?
FATE 3e “Vortex: Terra’s Pride” (Team 3/5c) telecom Player Characters, as of summer 2013:
Acting crew of the experimental scout ship Blackbird:
- “Capt. Kevin Reese” [Bruce K., primary ]-male Terran “near-human” (cyborg), former Interplanetary Patrol officer and member of the Blackbird and Dauntless crews; homeworld security task force commander
- “Lt.Cmdr. Tela” [Sara F., secondary ]-female Tharian (gargoyle-like alien), escapee from the Encegulans (slug-like slavers), fond of humans; engineer with boyfriend Kedar
- “Lt.Cmdr. Brun Bearhammer” [Geoff C., secondary ]-male Martian Ursoid “Synth” (“Uplifted” bear), former wrestler, pilot
- “Tariq Asrad Saladin” [Beruk A., secondary ]-male Terran “near-human” (mutant) wanderer with a past, investigator
- “Chris McKee /Agent Prometheus” [Josh C., primary ]-male Terran human, former assassin for the eugenicists at Black Box Security Co., sniper and seeker aboard the Blackbird":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/vortex/characters/blackbird and Pina Colada
- “Lt. Nathan A. Jessup” [Byron V.O., secondary ]-male Terran human, gung-ho Union of Solar Nations space marine and pilot
- “Enkidu Aristheon” [Dexter V.H., secondary ]-male Seranen (pale empathic humanoid alien) exile, wilderness survival expert curious about Terrans and the Zarkonian threat; with sphinx-like companion Glaucon
“22 to 25 August 2195 A.D./C.E. or 1 Terran Galactic Era:” At Sirius, the Blackbird dropped sensor buoys and encountered unidentified alien vessels. Its crew also saw for the first time the fearsome Zarkonian Armada, which was headed toward the Sol system.
Meanwhile, the rest of the “Terra’s Pride” homeworld security task force checked in at the Wolf 359 outpost. The Pina Colada and Sovereign rescued the Nethian ship Fourth Wing and lured two Psi Eaters (cloud-based energy entities) to help defend Earth.
Lt.Cmdr. Tela tries to diagnose what is hampering the Blackbird ’s Transit (faster-than-light) drives, preventing the scout ship from leaving the Zarkonian-occupied solar system. Capt. Kevin Reese recommends scanning the area, and Tariq Asrad Saladin soon detects Transit inhibitors on the unidentified vessels.
Lt.Cmdr. Brun Bearhammer keeps the cloaking device active and quietly maneuvers behind iceball planet Xylanthia to avoid Zurmiz Krott (biomechanical probes) and Zarkonian fighter craft. Kevin goes to engineering to help Tela.
Tariq empathically senses the Blackbird ’s frustration and sluggishness, and the mystic and Kevin go to the flight bay to find and deactivate the alien system they retrieved. Chris McKee readies ion cannons.
Inside the alien ship, the Terran explorers find a vulture-like pilot, whom Chris determines was killed by a gamma ray blast from the Zarkonians. They manage to deactivate the Transit inhibitor, which Tariq plans to study later.
Capt. Reese orders Lt.Cmdr. Bearhammer to set a course for Procyon. The Blackbird reunites with the rest of “Terra’s Pride” at the binary star system.
The command crews of the Terran task force meet to discuss their next moves. “Dr. Srinu Pahul” [Byron] had planned to use criminals aboard the Crazy Horse to provide human life signs for a Trojan horse attack on the Zarkonian Armada. Instead, he acquired terminally ill and vegetative patients.
Several of Dr. Pahul’s crew mates have moral qualms, and robot nurse MEGAN attends to his patients. Chris notes that any attempt to study the armada would have to occur at Wolf 359, now that it has passed by Sirius.
Engineer “Hector Chavez” [Beruk] strengthens the Crazy Horse’s defenses and loads three zero-point devices, plus nuclear warheads. Tela suggests using a distress signal to lure the enemy and spider drones for tracking.
“Cmdr. Jasmine” [Sara] says farewell to “Lt.Cmdr. Sebastian Growlick” [Bruce], who gives her the Sash of Giganta and volunteers to pilot the Crazy Horse. The Felinoid “Synth” (“Uplifted” lion) makes a microjump in the Wolf 359 system and charges at the 3,000 Zarkonian ships.
Lt. Nathan A. Jessup hangs back in the Kutalrin ship to relay telemetry back to the rest of “Terra’s Pride.” The Zarkonians rake the Crazy Horse with beam weapons, and the frigate explodes, destroying two capital ships and about dozen smaller enemy vehicles.
Even as the humans celebrate their first engagement and mourn for Sebastian and others’ sacrifice, Nate spots two Zarkonian fighters headed his way. Brun brings the “Dauntless” around to retrieve him, and he and Chris destroy two pursuers.
Jasmine and Brun set a course for Van Maanen’s Star so that their task force can join some of the rag-tag fleet fleeing Earth….
Byron and Dexter, we missed you at the “Vortex: Terra’s Pride” telecom space opera! Byron, I hope you’re feeling better. Janice and I enjoyed our vacation in Seattle, but I’m glad to get back to our games.
Note that each of your Player Characters now has 40 skill points. Let me know how you’ll spend them, and have a good week, -Gene