D20 "Vortex: Exodus" telecom team
Party 6a in Gene D.'s "Vortex" space opera campaign
- “Cpl. Tommy Hicks” [Bruce K.]: male Terran human space navy officer and pilot (Trader/Warrior), captain of the Olvar/Terran scout ship Excalibur; TNl, Lvl. 4
- “Capt. James Verian/the Wayfinder” [Dexter V.H.]: male Terran human scout and Ecomancer (Explorer/Mystic), with “Uplifted” tiger Hakuran; NGl, Lvl. 4
- “Sprocket” [Beruk A.]: male Martian cyborg Technomancer and engineer (“near-human” Mystic/Trader); CGn, Lvl. 4
- “Xena” [Sara F.]: female “Uplifted” velociraptor archaeologist and medic (Explorer) from Henson IV/“Boobulon”; CGn, Lvl. 4
- “Snagglebeak of clan Night Stalker” [Josh C.]: male Gustrall Trader (fierce avian extraterrestrial) and smuggler; CGn, Lvl. 4
- “John ‘Mundungus’ Smith” [Byron V.O./absent ]: male human stowaway, scrounger, and lethal survivor (Trader);
In one future, Terran humanity and its creations had colonized the Sol system but still struggled with environmental degradation and internecine conflict. Open and official First Contact with extraterrestrials brought new allies and challenges. The Zarkonian Invasion killed billions, leaving rag-tag fleets of refugees to roam the galaxy, as explorers search for safe worlds….
- Session 1: Rescue at Beta Canum Venaticorum (23 March 2017, “1 April 2197 A.D./C.E. or 2 Terran Galactic Era”): A few years after the voyages of the Blackbird and Pina Colada, a new team is sent to evacuate the science station on planet Henson and fights off Zurmiz Krott, biomechanical forces of the Zarkonian Armada.
- Session 2: Evacuation From Henson IV (April 13, “April 1”): Terran troops continue their pitched battle against the Zurmiz Krott, which take control of some of Henson’s dinosaurs. Xena leads a “Synth” breakout from an unsanctioned laboratory.
- Session 3: Drop Ship Dogfight (April 20, “April 2”): Cpl. Hicks switches from power armor to the pilot’s seat as he takes a drop ship to rendezvous with the already-crowded Dauntless. Meanwhile, the “Terra’s Pride” task force fights another battle in space.
- Session 4: Dinner on the Dauntless (April 27, “April 3 to 5”): Capt. Verian, “Sprocket,” Xena, and Cpl. Hicks meet with “Capt. Kevin Reese” and the commanders of the “Terra’s Pride” ships. They learn of potential missions and assignments.
- Session 5: Urging the Ilokar (May 18, “April 6 to 9”): “Wayfinder” considers rejoining the Terran Ranger Corps, Sprocket scrounges for supplies, and Xena helps in sickbay. Tommy arranges with Capt. Anita Philips for transfer to the Defender as the task force reunites with the Ilokar battle group and refugee fleet. He also makes an impassioned speech in favor of unity and long-range exploration before the Colonial Council.
- Session 6: Repelling Ru’ulok Raiders (May 25, “April 10”): The Abraham Lincoln rejoins the battle group but is under fire from Ru’ulok pirates. The team helps fight them off in boarding actions and dogfights, and Tommy is reunited with Col. Akino Takahashi.
- Session 7: Fleet Action (June 8, “April 11 to 14”): Before beginning their next mission, the Terran explorers recuperate from recent fights, train, and obtain supplies.
- Session 8: Aboard the Defender (June 13, “April 15”): The team bids farewell to the Lincoln and meets Capt. Philips’ crew. It also learns of recent casualties.
- Session 9: “Space Goblins!” (June 20, “April 16”): At Gliese 450, the away team encounters an ambush by humanoid scavengers, who claim that more are on their way.
- Session 10: Hoop Snake at Samara (June 27, “April 16 to 18”): At 61 Ursae Majoris, the Defender finds a habitable world, which includes a strange creature.
- Session 11: Another Ambush! (July 6/“April 19 to 21”): On the way to Oasis Station, the Defender is attacked by drones from the Lowut, or “space goblins.”
- Session 12: Arrival at Oasis Station (July 11, “April 22 to 30”): The adventurers arrive at the orbital habitats and interstellar trading post of Oasis Station. They wander through the diverse environments and meet many aliens, including friendly Olvar and slug-like Encegulans.
- Session 13: Rusted Link and Hunting Lodge (July 25, “May 1”): After evading Encegulans, the team rescues members of the Defender ’s crew from a skirmish with robots and fierce Gustrall.
- Session 14: Retrieving the Defender (Aug. 1, “May 2”): Sprocket remotely regains control of the Defender from the Encegulans, while Wayfinder and Xena examine the crew, which is acting strangely. Tommy learns about the Olvar lend-lease program.
- Session 15: Remembering the Heist (Aug. 8, “May 3”): The investigators find that the crew of the Defender has altered memories and confronts a Kutalrin cabbie and Sulishi Dr. Scutalis. They then learn about Capt. Philips’ failed robbery of a Precursor site.
- Session 16: Tracking a Traitor (Aug. 15, “May 4 to 12”): Still at Oasis Station, the away team follows clues through “the Merging” and “the Old Warrior” to Dylan Fajo, a man who served the Zarkonians. They don aliases to get closer….
- Session 17: “Farstar Drover” (Aug. 22, “May 13”): Surrounded by aliens, the Terrans find the traitor, but he has also changed his identity and joined high society at Oasis Station. They acquire a Renegade-class vessel from the Olvar.
- Session 18: Boarding the Excalibur (Aug. 29, “May 14 to 21”): The crew of the newly named Excalibur bid farewell to the Defender and find an escape pod at Hussey 644 on its way back to the Ilokar. The scouts negotiate between rogue Trinoid scientists and Nethian authorities.
- Session 19: The Miyamoto Musashi (Sept. 12, “May 22 to 30”): The Excalibur encounters a refurbished Terran battleship and learns that much of its personnel has been replaced by androids.
- Session 20:
- Session 21:
- Session 22:
- Session 23:
- Session 24:
- Session 25:
- Session 26: Laransan colony (June 21, “13 June”):