Bruce K.'s male Felinoid U.S.N. officer aboard the Blackbird
Character: “Lt.Cmdr. Sebastian Growlick”
Role-player: Bruce K. (secondary)
Campaign: Gene D.’s " Vortex " space opera, using Fantastic Adventures in Tabletop Entertainment (FATE) 3e Starblazer Adventures / Mindjammer, Bulldogs, and Limitless Horizons
- Date created: 9 March 2013/“17 July 2195 A.D./C.E. or 1 Terran Galactic Era”
- Date revised: 9 June 2013/“13 August 2195 or 1 T.G.E.”
Species: Felinoid “Synth” (“Uplifted” lion)
Homeworld: Mars Confederacy
- High concept: Lion-man starship officer
- Foible: A legend in the making
- Starting out: Famous forefathers
- Sidetracked: Unsympathetic to the Synth Liberation Front
- Guest star: Brother, Castillian Growlick, a notorious pirate
- Motivation: To serve the Union of Solar Nations (U.S.N.)
- Adventuring: “Me first!”
- Commission: Lieutenant Commander in the U.S.N. space navy
Skills (36 points total):
Apex, Superb (1 at +5; should be unique to the party):
- Guns (combat) — includes energy weapons, slug throwers
Great (2 at +4):
- Athletics (physical) — acrobatics, agility, sports
- Fists (unarmed combat) — includes Brawling, claws, close combat, Micro-G combat
- Might (physical) — strength — thanks to the Sash of Giganta (see below)
Good (3 at +3):
- Deceit (social) — similar to D20 Bluff
- Leadership (social) — includes bureaucracy, oratory, tactics
- Stealth (subterfuge)
Fair (4 at +2): Alertness, Engineer, Resolve, Resources
- Alertness (perception) — mostly passive, see Investigation
- Intimidation (social) — interrogation
- Resolve (social) — similar to D20 willpower
- Resources (mundane) — wealth, includes assets, brokerage
- Ship Systems (craft) — includes communications, scanning, life support, electronic countermeasures; grants ships an extra stunt/gear
Average (6 at +1):
- Burglary (subterfuge) — includes some security countermeasures
- Contacting (social) — includes culture/tech; similar to D20 gather information
- Engineering (craft; at Tech Level) — includes Starship Engineering/propulsion, demolitions (with stunt), general repair (mechanic)
- Pilot (mundane) — for spacecraft
- Rapport (social) — Charm
- Survival (mundane) — includes Animal Handler, EVA, Medic; by terrain type
Stunts (from FATE 3e Starblazer Adventures):
- Crippling Blow: When you injure an opponent with your Fists, you may spend a fate point to force the target to take a consequence rather than check off a stress box. This can only be done once per opponent in a given fight scene. The target may choose to concede rather than take the consequence.
- Danger Sense: You have a quick and easy awareness of ambushes and other nasty surprises. When you’re ambushed (pg. 102, Skills chapter), you’re able to take a full defensive action, gaining a +2 on your defense roll, regardless of whether or not you’re surprised.
- Feel the Burn: You can push through incredible pain. You can take one extra mild physical consequence, allowing you a total of four consequences in a physical conflict.
- Hush: Your talent with stealth may be extended to others close by you, provided that you travel as a group. As long as the whole group stays with you and follows your hushed orders, you may make a single Stealth roll for the whole group, using your skill alone. If someone breaks from the group, he immediately loses this benefit and may risk revealing the rest of you if he doesn’t manage to pull off a little Stealth of his own.
- Marathon Training: You know how to conserve your energy when undergoing lengthy athletic activity. You may use Athletics instead of Endurance when making tests against fatigue; in most other cases, you may complement any Endurance rolls with your Athletics.
- Sash of Giganta : grants +4 Might, plus potential side effects, from Vatican horde
- Shot on the Run: Use Guns +4 for defense. You’re light on your feet with a gun in your hand, able to keep the gunplay going while evading attempts to harm you. You may use Guns as a defense skill against physical attacks; normally, Guns can’t be used defensively.
Refresh: 5 Fate points remaining (after stunts)
- Health: 5
- Composure: 5
- Consequences: Mild (-2) to Moderate (-4), Severe (-6), and Extreme (-8)
- Armored space suit (-3 to Stealth, -3 consequences)
- Uniforms, dress, ship coveralls, and vacc suit
- Knife, survival, vibro, +2
- Pistol, blaster, +2
- Rifle, heavy blaster +4
Ship roles: Acting captain of the Morifaiwet/Blackbird
Background: Born in the Mars Confederacy, Sebastian Growlick is a member of a rare line of “Synths.” Unlike most leonine Felinoids (bioengineered or “Uplifted” humanoids), the Growlicks were carefully selected for potential traits as commanders on long-range space missions. They tend not to suffer the low intelligence, short lifespans, or atavistic rage of many other genetically modified Terran species.
In addition, Sebastian’s immediate predecessors served in United Earth Authority military actions against various rebels on Mars and in the Jovian Commonwealth. Unlike many of his peers, Sebastian views the Synth Liberation Front as terrorists rather than freedom fighters.
Sebastian served the Union of Solar Nations space navy with distinction, earning a commission as acting captain of the Morifaiwet/Blackbird, an experimental biomechanical Olvar scout ship that was part of Lt.Cmdr. Kevin Reese’s task force. He is eager to explore interstellar space and has managed to work well with the aliens in his crew, despite a slight superiority complex toward other Terrans….
FATE 3e “Vortex” space opera Player Characters
Crew of the yacht Pina Colada:
- “Capt. Jasmine” [Sara F., primary ]-female Martian Felinoid “Synth” (“Uplifted” tiger), former pit fighter and crewmember of the Appomattox, now captain of the Pina Colada searching for a homeworld for her people
- “Hector Chavez” [Beruk A., primary ]-male Terran human, former spy and crewmember on the Appomattox, cautious engineer and communications expert
- “Chris McKee /Agent Prometheus” [Josh C., primary ]-male Terran human, former assassin for the eugenicists at Black Box Security Co., sniper and seeker aboard the Blackbird and Pina Colada
- “Orion Starchaser” [Geoff C., primary-male Pomuyan (blue telepathic humanoid alien), irrepressible mystic and thrill-seeking galactic hitchhiker
- “Dr. Srinu Pahul” [Byron V.O., primary ]-male Terran “near-human” (genetically modified) xenobiologist, curious and confident planetary patriot; with robots MEGAN and PEPE
- “Capt. Kevin Reese” [Bruce K., primary ]-male Terran “near-human” (cyborg), former Interplanetary Patrol officer and member of the Blackbird and Dauntless crews; defender of the homeworld
- “Chiron” [Dexter V.H., primary ]-male (secretly android) pilot, assigned to assess and protect humanity
Crew of the experimental scout ship Blackbird:
- “Lt. Sebastian Growlick” [Bruce K., secondary ]-male Felinoid “Synth” (“Uplifted” lion), elite soldier and acting commander of the refitted Blackbird
- “Tela” [Sara F., secondary ]-female Tharian (gargoyle-like alien), escapee from the Encegulans (slug-like slavers), fond of humans; engineer with boyfriend Kedar
- “Tariq Asrad Saladin” [Beruk A., secondary ]-male Terran “near-human” (mutant) wanderer with a past, investigator
- “Lord Wallace Tubbington” [Josh C., secondary ]-male Olvar (arboreal, mammal-like alien) swashbuckler and diplomat for the Kharvamid Alliance
- “Brun” [Geoff C., secondary ]-male Martian Ursoid “Synth” (“Uplifted” bear), former wrestler, pilot
- “Sgt. Nathan A. Jessup” [Byron V.O., secondary ]-male Terran human, gung-ho member of the North American Aerospace Marine Corps
- “Enkidu Aristheon” [Dexter V.H., secondary ]-male Seranen (pale empathic humanoid alien) exile, wilderness survival expert curious about Terrans and the Zarkonian threat; with sphinx-like companion Glaucon
See other records for the previous crews of the Blackbird, Appomattox, and Gryphon.